Seeking Incontinence Help: Which Doctor to Consult?

speak with a doctor, if experiencing bladder leaks

Incontinence is Treatable

We understand that those “whoops” moments from stress urinary incontinence can be embarrassing, but if left untreated symptoms will worsen. However, on the bright side, these bladder leaks are a treatable medical condition. Treatment may even lead to a complete withdrawal of symptoms (aka no more leaks). While often not talked about, stress incontinence is the most common type of incontinence.  Weak pelvic floor muscles lose control of keeping the pee in when pressure is applied to the bladder.

If you’re ready to regain control over your bladder muscles, a consult with a healthcare professional is a good next step.

Which Doctor Should I Speak With About Incontinence?

While dealing with bladder leaks from stress incontinence is frustrating, you have options when it comes to who you can consult regarding your incontinence symptoms. There are multiple healthcare professionals and specialists who might be able to diagnose and treat your condition:

Family Practice: A family practitioner or primary care physician is someone who offers his or her services to an entire family (young children, adults and elderly). Because family practice doctors care for a wide range of patients, they’re also able to diagnose and possibly treat a range of medical conditions, including incontinence. If a condition is not in the doctor’s range, they will refer you to a specialist who can help you to find the best-fit incontinence treatment option. We encourage you to discuss your symptoms at your annual physical or schedule an appointment with your primary care physician.

Urogynecologists: These doctors, also known as Urogyns, are specially trained for the female urinary system.  They are dual certified in urology and gynecology and can diagnose and treat women with pelvic floor disorders, including stress urinary incontinence. The incontinence treatment solution presented by Urogyns may include surgery. If you haven’t previously seen a Urogynecologist, you may first want to ask your primary care physician or your OB/GYN if they have any recommendations.

Urologists: A urologist is a physician who specializes in the conditions of the urinary tract for both men and women. They also receive specialized training to perform surgery for incontinence. The urinary tract consists of the bladder as well as your kidneys, ureters, urethra, and adrenal glands. Urologists will be knowledgeable about incontinence and bladder health, but may refer female patients to a Urogynecologist.

9 out of 10 gynecologists would prescribe ELITONE

Gynecologists: Gynecologists are doctors who specialize in women’s pelvic health and female reproductive health. Obstetricians deliver babies. OB/GYNs do both.  If you’re a mother, you likely routinely saw an OB/GYN throughout your pregnancy. Because the birth of a child can often lead to incontinence, you can feel comfortable speaking with your OB/GYN.

In addition, help can also be sought from nurses and caretakers of individuals with pelvic floor disorders.

Do Not Wait to Seek Help for Your Incontinence

When experiencing symptoms of any type of incontinence, the best thing you can do for your physical and mental health is to seek help and speak with a medical professional. Uncontrolled bladder leaks are extremely common in women, so you do not need to feel embarrassed when discussing the topic. Your physician will work with you to determine the best course of action and treatment option for your body.

If an easy-to-use,  non-vaginal treatment that you can use in the comfort of your home is something that you would like to discuss as a treatment option with your doctor, you can view and download information about ELITONE® therapy for stress urinary incontinence in women.

ELITONE stress incontinence treatment:

  • 9 out of 10 Gynecologists said they would prescribe ELITONE.
  • 100% external – nothing goes inside you.
  • You’ll notice fewer leaks in as few as 6 weeks!

Learn more about the ELITONE device.